Monday 13 April 2020

Welcome back!
I hope you all had a wonderful and restful long weekend.
Reminder - my office hours are 10:00 - 11:30.

After each weekend - I will be doing a check in with you as I did last Monday.
It will always be the same question, but I expect your answer will change.
Please make an entry in your learning journal answering the following question:
How are you feeling?
a) Awesome!
b) I'm doing pretty ok
c) Just meh
d) I'm struggling
e) I'm not at all ok and I would like a check-in with you Mrs. Nye.
 Please explain your above answer.

Math
We are going to start to explore how we can use and manipulate graphs and data to tell the story we want it to tell. How we can display data so that it is biased towards what we want it to say. With that in mind, take a look at this cartoon and tell me what it is about:



















Literacy
Please read chapter three of either the Giver OR Gathering Blue. Reminder - you should only be reading one of these books - not both. Gathering Blue is an option only for those of you who have read The Giver before.
Also please remember that at the end of this novel study you will be writing a five paragraph essay comparing the community that the book takes place in and the community that you live in. Please take notes as you are reading the story. Your essay will need quotes from the book to support your ideas.

Chapter 3 questions - to be answered in your learning journal
The Giver - How is the role of birthmother viewed in this society? Talk about what happens to them and how they are treated.
Gathering Blue - What choice was Kira given at her trial? What did she choose? Do you agree with that choice? Why or why not?

Google Chat
A few of you have let me know that you are having trouble with google chat. I'm not sure why there are troubles, but I'll give some possible answers to your problems. I'll be on the chat during my office hours - try it out and let me know if you are still having problems.

1. Open your Google Drive
2. Look in the top right corner - you'll see nine dots in a little square.
It looks like this:
3. Click on the nine little dots.
4. You should see "Chat" once you click on the nine dots.
It looks like this:


If you do not see it - scroll down and/or click on the "more" option.
Once you are in chat, on the left side there is a search option. Search for "Mrs. Nye's Class Chat Room". You are all members - I double checked.
Try it out and let me know how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment